Monday, November 26, 2007

Rest of the Best: 5 Anticipated Fights for the End of 2007

With only a little over a month left, most tremendous upsets and fight-of-the-year candidates are already in the books. However, the last weeks of this year have a few more excellent fights to offer MMA fans. Below are my five most anticipated fights for the latter days of 2007.

5. Fedor Emelianenko vs. ?

Emelianenko's return to the ring has got to be on any fan's radar. I'm reserving some enthusiasm, though, until we find out who exactly he's supposed to be fighting. I don't exactly relish a return to the Japanese freak-show fight that a match with MMA novice Hong Man Choi represents. I can't even imagine why Emelianenko's management would think that such a fight is becoming for what is considered pound-for-pound one of the greatest fighters in the sport. Rumored opposition in the form of Jeff Monson or Pedro Rizzo isn't much of an improvement. Rizzo is basically mustering up all his strength for one last string of wins at the end of his career, while Emelianenko is at the height of his powers. And Monson, uh...just got knocked out by Rizzo, so it's not looking good.

4. Urijah Faber vs. Jeff Curran

It's gotta be the chin. Faber's recent competition, while perhaps talented, hasn't had quite the level of experience needed to pose a threat to the WEC's 145 pound champion. Jeff Curran, at 28-8-1 against a host of esteemed opposition, will be Faber's stiffest test since his rise to prominence. Will the magical charm contained in Faber's deeply cleft chin triumph over Curran's eternally prepubescent voice? I must know!

3. Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell

This fight has lost a little of its luster for me, but it's still pretty compelling. I'm pulling for Wanderlei, because Chuck Liddell never offered that I call him up if I need help (even if I just have problems with my car or something) and Wanderlei did. Plus, I hate the show Entourage.

2. Sokoudjou vs. Ryoto Machida

Unfortunately for Sokoudjou, the explosive ways that he finished Arona and Nogueira still have sort of a fluke-y air about them. If he can beat Machida, for me at least, he will be the real deal and a definite contender for the belt. The same goes for Machida, who is experiencing a step up in competition with this fight. A win for either fighter puts them right in line for a shot at Rampage.

1. Troy Mandaloniz vs. Richie Hightower

Man, you just know this is going to be great. Get this: the TUF season 6 contestants wanted to fight on the show, but Spike TV was scared that the fight would be so extreme that they didn't want to air it, so now we get to see it on the live finale! They're friends, but they both really want to fight each other, and they love to BANG, so you know it's going to be a knock-down-drag-out what the fuck? Georges St. Pierre and Matt Hughes are fighting for the title? Holy shit, I just soiled myself.

No comments: